In Light and Darkness Advent Devotional
Note: This is a digital product. No physical product will be shipped to you.
Our In Light and Darkness Advent Devotional is a weekly devotional based on scripture showing how light and darkness exist together. The short reflections explore the theme of light and darkness in Advent scriptures. How we understand these ideas affects how we view God, our faith, and our world. Inspired by Barbara Brown Taylor's book, Learning to Walk in the Dark, we re-frame traditional understandings of light as good and darkness as bad or evil.
This devotional is available in two editions: an Illustrated Edition and a Text-only Edition. After selecting your purchase type, select which edition you want (or save 25% and purchase both editions).
- The Illustrated Edition is a hybrid devotional/coloring book. Each of the five weekly devotions includes beautifully-written content, accompanied by illustrations that are meant to be engaged with, doodled and colored on, and discussion questions to go deeper with others.
- What will I get? When you purchase the Illustrated Edition, you will receive a PDF file of the illustrated devotional.
- Who is it for? We've found that children, youth, and college students have really enjoyed our illustrated devotionals. They are also great for intergenerational gatherings because there are questions in the material geared to all ages.
- The Text-only Edition includes the same wonderful written content, however, it is included in a primarily text-only format. The design is classic and clean, which is a great option for those not interested in coloring. Each week includes spaces for writing/doodling and questions to discuss with others.
- What will I get? When you purchase the Text-only Edition, you will receive a ZIP file that includes two PDFs: 1) one PDF formatted to print out as a double-sided booklet on 8.5x11 paper, and 2) one PDF formatted as a digital copy.
- Who is it for? The Text-only Edition is great for those who may be less interested in coloring and are just looking for a small, booklet-sized devotional to go through during Advent. These would be great for adult Bible studies or to make available generally to your congregation.
Interested in both? Select the Both Editions option and save 25%.
- What will I get? When you purchase both editions, you will receive a ZIP file with three PDFs: 1) both PDFs included in the Text-only Edition, and 2) the PDF of the Illustrated Edition.
Our Illustrated Advent for Families: In Light and Darkness is geared specifically for families and would be worth considering if you are looking to use "In Light and Darkness" as a church-wide Advent theme. You can learn more here.
Weekly Scripture for In Light and Darkness Advent Devotional
Below is a list of the scripture used for each of the five weekly devotionals:
- Week One: John 1:1–5
- Week Two: Matthew 1:18b–24a and Luke 1:26b-38
- Week Three: Luke 2:2–14
- Week Four: Luke 2:15–20
- Week Five: John 1:1–5
Additional In Light and Darkness resources:
Below are additional products that connect with our In Light and Darkness theme.