This is a digital product. After you complete your purchase, the digital files will be available for you to print out yourself. No products will be shipped to you.
At Illustrated Ministry, we recognize the challenges of Holy Week for children. There are difficult topics about resisting oppressive powers, death, betrayal, and crucifixion. This resource was designed to enhance children’s involvement in Holy Week worship services, supplement Sunday school class material, provide material for a family event centered around Holy Week, or support any other traditions your church has for meaningful, age-appropriate engagement.
An Illustrated Holy Week includes an Illustrated Children’s Moment with a Leader Guide, a Children’s Worship Bulletin, an Illustrated Children’s Moment Coloring Page, and a Worship Guide for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday.
An Illustrated Holy Week is designed specifically to help children understand what happens between Palm Sunday and Easter (which children often miss) and for churches that celebrate Passion Sunday.
It includes the following:
- Children’s Moments, including a Palm Sunday triptych of Jesus' triumphal entry, Jesus washing feet, and the tomb with people mourning Jesus' death
- Worship Bulletins for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday
- Coloring Pages that go along with the Children's Moments
- An interactive Worship Guide for Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday
These resources can be used in worship services to enhance children’s involvement and experience of Holy Week, used as additional material for Sunday School, sent home with families to provide additional activities during Holy Week, or can be used to help design an intergenerational family event centered around Holy Week.
Here's a great blog post about why it's important and how to include children in Holy Week services.
For more detailed information on each of the elements of the resource, click the tab above called "More Details."
Illustrated Children's Moments
- Four full-color, original, hand-drawn illustrations of Bible stories from the lectionary. The style is modern, playful, diverse and authentic.
- Each illustration is accompanied by a thoughtful reflection you can use to plan your children's moment. It's not a script, but you can use it to craft a children's sermon that engages children where they are.
- You will also receive the black and white versions of the illustrations that you can use to give children as coloring pages.
These resources illustrate the scripture passages from the Revised Common Lectionary. Here is a list of the stories that are illustrated in An Illustrated Holy Week:
- April 14: Palm Sunday — Luke 19:28-40
- April 18: Maundy Thursday — John 13:1-17, 31b-35
- April 19: Good Friday — John 18:1-42
April 21: Easter Sunday — John 20:1-18
Children's Worship Bulletins
These could be given to children as they enter into worship, placed in children’s worship bags, or used during Sunday School or sent home with the kids. These worship bulletins include word searches, white space for imaginative drawing based on prompts, word scrambles, connect-the-dots, and lots of creative coloring opportunities.
With An Illustrated Holy Week, you'll receive Children's Worship Bulletins for the following days:
- Palm Sunday (same worship bulletin from our 2019 Spring/Lent Worship Resources)
- Maundy Thursday (brand new worship bulletin)
- Good Friday (brand new worship bulletin)
- Easter Sunday (same worship bulletin from our 2019 Spring/Lent Worship Resources)
Each Worship Guide was created as a resource to intentionally include children in a worship service and to be flexible for many different settings. You can easily use any piece in a stand-alone way to fit your needs.
- Perhaps you only need the script for the Palm Sunday Parade for your worship service or an idea of how to incorporate hand or foot washing into your Maundy Thursday service.
- Maybe your community doesn’t offer a Good Friday service, and you just need the Children’s Moment and Children’s Worship Bulletin for Easter.
- Or maybe your church is hosting a Holy Week Family event where you can rotate through all of the material.
You may find that this resource varies in the way it supports you year to year. We hope however your Holy Week takes place, this resource inspires your worshipping community to include and engage children during this important liturgical season.